If you enjoy hiking, you’ll eventually reach a point where planning your first walking holiday just seems like the natural next step!
While planning a hiking or walking holiday can be exciting and interesting, it might also make you feel stressed and insecure. There are so many things to ensure and organize!
To make it easier for you, we’ve recollected these top tips to make planning your first walking holiday a breeze:
- Make sure you know how fit you are and how challenging is the route you’re choosing. If you choose a walking holiday over your capacity, it will probably make you feel frustrated and disappointed. If you have the time, train before you travel! It will allow you to enjoy more. On that note…
- Don’t overtrain before you travel. It is easy to get excited and try to fit in as much exercise as possible before your first walking holiday, but try to keep it at a nice pace for your fitness level. The last thing you want is to arrive to your destination with a tired body and aching legs.
- Dress for the weather and the challenges you’ll face. You might already be equipped for hiking in your hometown or area, but traveling to a different destination can change your needs drastically. Make sure you have everything you need!
- Prepare the small things – they can be huge when you need them. Make a list of small items that you’ll need to feel comfy during your walking holiday. From sunscreen to your favorite water bottle – they all add up! Remember to bring some packed food too, it will really help you in the hardest stretches!
- Choose your transportation and your accommodation. How would you get to the beggining of the trail? Where will you sleep each night? Will you carry your own bag or will you hire someone to do this for you? After a long day walking you won’t probably have the energy to go around asking these kind of questions. Make sure you’ve got this planned before you travel!
- Plan resting days to enjoy your destination. This will help you feel more in vacation mode, while also giving you the opportunity to rest your feet… and discover the local culture. Win win!
- Enjoy the experience! The anticipation of a trip can be as exciting as the trip itself. Make sure you have fun while you plan!
To make everything easier for you, our final tip would be to find a trusted supplier with experience in the kind of walking holiday you’re preparing. At Tailor Made Tours we organize and plan walking and hiking tours in Ireland, either for one person or for groups. If you’re interested in our services, reach out and request a free quote. We’ll be happy to help you plan your best walking holiday!